For some of those who don’t believe that social media has an influence on today’s youth, I am gonna make them believe. Because why would someone use word “influencer” in “Instagram Influencers” or “Twitter Influencers”. So, Before starting to talk about the influence of social media on youth. Let’s generalize some terms,
- Social Media:
For some of those who think that social media is a term used for sites or apps like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Google Plus, etc. I beg to differ. According to Wikipedia,
“Social media are computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks”.
That means, places like Google, Quora, etc. from where you can gain knowledge and share ideas also are a part of the Social Media.Or Shopping sites like Amazon, Flipkart, etc. also can be considered as part of social media.
Straight from the Oxford dictionary Influence means “The capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something, or the effect itself.”
Influence of Social Media on Youth:
Social media today has become a prominent part of people and mostly the youth. I personally use Social media for more than 3 hours a day. So, In a world where looking cool in pictures on social media has more importance than being genuine, one can certainly say that social media has a heavy influence on youth.
As Mark Zuckerberg once said,
“People Influence People”
And for our knowledge, we are the people having our heads towards the screens using social media. So, definitely social media influences youth (people)
Today I am going to write on the influence of social media on youth from both the aspects i.e.
- Positive influence of social media on youth.
- Negative influence of social media on youth.
So, let’s get started!
positive influence of social media on youth:
Talking from an optimistic point of view. These are some of the positive influence of social media on the youth.
- Studying from sites like Google, Youtube, Quora etc. is “The Place” to gain knowledge.
- Students can easily collaborate with their teachers via this platforms at any hour of the day and solve their problems.
- Not in my college but programs like “Study from home” are arranged for educational purposes in many major educational institutes.
- Not only can you gain knowledge but you can share opinions/knowledge on sites like Quora. Because “Knowledge increase by sharing not by saving”-Lyrikal
- Programs like Khan Academy have developed the state of education system via Social media.
- This one is my personal favorite, One can share assignments, project ideas, etc. via mail, WhatsApp, etc.
Hence, one can get more educated then ever if they wish to.
“Social media puts the ‘Public’ in Public relation and ‘Market’ in the Marketing”
The positive upside of entrepreneurship and startups have baffled today’s youth. In the world where many of youngsters including me want to be a “Startup founder”, building relationships is the first priority for success. And social media helps to build those relationships like,
- Engaging with the audience.
- Providing value via constant posts and answers.
- Using hashtags to find potential customers and build relations.
For personal users rather than business,
- Wanna talk to mother face to face *Opens Skype*
- Wanna chat with Gf/Bf *Opens WhatsApp*
- Making unknown people friends via social media is also an upside.
3) Job opportunities:
“Not everyone wants to be a business owner”
With heavy use of social media by the youth, recruiters recruit many candidates via social media:
- Employers find their employee and Employee to find their employers via Social media like Linkedin, Facebook, etc.
- Sites like naukri.com avails enormous amount of Job opportunities for today’s youth. Or sites like freelancer.com helps you pay your bills by freelancing.
4) Always in touch with the world:
Believe it or not, though social media seems to disconnect people from the surrounding. It connect’s people to the world.
- World news reaches in seconds after incidents via social media with the speed of light.
- Live streaming of events via Facebook Live or Instagram Live connects the people all around the world.
- Important people who can’t afford to come to a small ceremony due to some reason can see these ceremonies via social media.
5) influences to exercise:
First of all, This part can be considered from both perspectives: Positive and Negative.
In a world where looking cool in pictures and selfies on social media has more importance than being a genuine person, people tend to make their body look cool. To make a body look cool people workout, join Gyms, engage in physical activities, etc.
Hence, Influence of social media on youth not only affects the mind but also help them build a physical structure.
6) Social media as e-commerce:
“Time is our most valuable asset, yet we tend to waste it, kill it and spend it rather than invest it.” – Jim Rohn
Similar to influence for the workout, Influence of social media as e-commerce can be divided into Both perspectives. Consequently, Talking from an optimistic point of view influence of social media as e-commerce can be,
- People can buy things while riding back home from offices rather than spending 2-3 hours in the market.
- Specifically, in the generation of youths where “Time is the most valuable asset” e-commerce sites like Amazon helps youth to innovate and invent providing time.
- More choices of books, electronics, and other stuff is a plus point. for eg. If I don’t get a book from the nearby bookstore, Amazon will have it.
You may like: How to use Influence of Instagram for Marketing
In conclusion, from an optimistic point of view, Influence of social media on youth have positive results. Now, talking from a pessimistic point of view…
Negative influence of social media on youth:
Talking from a pessimistic point of view. Here are some of the negative influence of social media on the youth.
1) Being a part of fads:
As an active member of social media sites like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Quora, etc. I have seen today’s youth who probably are 100% of our future being a part of fads like,
- Justin Beiber is a woman or Gay.
- Posts like “How can a gun float in the air if there is no God?. Checkmate atheists!” when you can clearly see John Cena holding it.
- Sending a request of Candy Crush or 8 ball pool.
- Photos and posts starting with “Keep calm” make me lose my calm.
In conclusion, if you are being a part of this fads stop it because Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam once said: “Let us sacrifice our today so our children could have a better tomorrow.” and it’s not worth to waste the words of this legend.
2) Effects on physical fitness:
Contrary to How Social media forces you to be fit, it also makes you lazy as shit.
Let me tell you my story how it affects fitness. I got my first smartphone before 2 years from now and that have affected me physically:
Before having a smartphone:
At the age of 16 (i.e before 2 years from now), I got my first smartphone. Before getting my smartphones I use to go out and play in open grounds, sit out in the fresh air and enjoy cool breeze during summer nights, sit under the tree and talk with friends. Playing outside didn’t make some sort of six packs but I had quite a good stamina in those days.
After getting a smartphone:
It’s been nearly 2 years since I have my facebook account. Nowadays, if my friends call me to play outside I would ignore them by some excuses. I would watch a new video on youtube rather than play outside. How sad? In last 2-3 years due to more and more engagements with technology my stamina has become shitty and I have lost energy due to overuse of social media.
Although, social media helps me mentally at the expense of physical fitness.
P.s. I weigh 65 KG. So don’t judge saying “what a shitty life”
Hence, the influence of social media on youth ‘s life can depend on how you see it.
3) Negative effects of e-commerce:
Although e-commerce has own advantages like enormous options, 24-7-365 services, saving time, etc. Youths today use this e-commerce sites to buy unnecessary fancy things like,
- Ooh! Robert Downey Jr. wears that watch. Let me buy one.
- WoW, that’s brand new earphone. Let’s buy one.
People unaware of real price and authenticity of the product can be tricked through e-commerce. Other issues like privacy, security of debit cards, etc. can also be considered in negative influence of e-commerce on youth.
4) Identity theft, cyberstalking, and cyberbullying:
Youngsters unaware of privacy settings posts their identity on any kind of social media and can easily be a victim of identity theft. Hence, the risk of disclosing personal information is always there on social media. Your personal information can be used to make fake accounts on the internet and much more as a result. So, stay aware!
The stalking term means “Pursue or follow stealthily” and doing this via social media and internet is called cyberstalking.
for eg: You are sitting in a restaurant and posted it on ‘Twitter’ probability of your ex-boyfriend/girlfriend to show up will increase. And that would be weird, won’t it?. That’s for the fun but let’s consider this example, You posted “Eating pizza at XYZ with family ” and a thief is cyber stalking you and he came to know. So at that time while you are eating Pizza happily, the thief is probably raiding your house.
Criminals can threat other peoples for doing their work or giving money via social media like Messengers or WhatsApp. This kind of Bullying via social media is called Cyber Bullying.
In conclusion, wrapping up all the “Influence of social media on youth ” thing. One can use social media in any way they want. Influence of social media on youth will remain How they use and think about Social media. Influence of social media on me is that I use social media for entertainment, knowledge, and Marketing. For what do you use it?…Comment Below and Subscribe!!!!
“Your worth is not measured in likes, comments, notes or followers; but in the ability to love, keep comments to yourself, take note and lead.”
Revisit Social Media Dominates